Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blue Velvet

I have not made cupcakes in ages.  (Well perhaps a few weeks- but that seems like ages for me.)  It rained this afternoon and finally cooled down below the 100 degree weather we have been having all weekend, so I jumped on this opportunity to light the oven and do a bit of baking. 


It seems that blueberries are my most baked-with fruit- and for good reason.  Blueberries, in my opinion, taste much more exciting and flavorful when cooked as opposed to fruit like strawberries, which looses it's flavor and texture.  I was going to make blueberry muffins, but since we have not had cupcakes in the house for a bit I settled on Blue Velvet Cupcakes from Chocolate Covered Katie.


I followed her recipe for the cupcakes exactly, although I mashed my blueberries rather than pureeing them (which I think would've been the better option).  For the frosting I used my basic cream cheese frosting recipe.

Enjoy!
Margaret


Cream Cheese Frosting

4 tablespoons butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat cream cheese and butter for 2-3 minutes on high in electric mixer.  Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating well in between each addition.  Add salt and vanilla and beat well.  Refrigerate before using.



No comments:

Post a Comment