Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September Soup


Along with the carrots (and many other yummy vegetables), this week I received an acorn squash in my farm share.  I had never cooked with acorn squash, so I decided I definitely wanted to soup.  I actually ended up buying another acorn squash at the farmer's market, since I needed at least two for the soup.  I adapted a couple recipes and ended up just making my own semi-original to match the ingredients I had.

The soup was especially good with some kale (also from the farm share!) baked into kale chips.  They were actually really delicious, and made a great substitute for potato chips.

Enjoy!
Margaret


Acorn Squash Soup
Serves 4-6

2 acorn squash, halved, seeds removed
1 apple, cored and chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
2 3/4 cups chicken stock 
3 tablespoons olive oil

On a baking sheet, roast the acorn squash, cut side down, until soft- about 45 minutes at 400°.  Scoop out the flesh and set aside.

In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Sauté carrot, apple, and onion until soft.  Season with cinnamon, salt, and pepper, and add squash.  Add chicken stock, stir, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes (or longer).


Kale Chips

Remove stems from kale and cut into desired sizes.  Toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Arrange in one flat layer on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 250°.

Let cool and store in an airtight container (if desired) at room temperature for 2-3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment