Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Autumn Veggies Soup


Veggies have not always been my favorite things.  As a little kid, I didn't like to touch anything green.  I ate carrots and occasionally green beans, but that was about it.  I have since expanded my repertoire, and my CSA farm share is just expanding it even farther.  All of the vegetables in this soup I received in the past week, fresh off the farms of upstate New York- you really can't beat that.


Also, this soup just reminds me again of all of the wonderful things about fall.  It is delicious and warming, and goes perfectly with a salad and a couple pieces of bread.  Really an all-around perfect fall lunch!  I had some the day I made it, and then saved the rest in the fridge for later in the week.  A couple minutes on the stove in a saucepan is all that it needs to reheat.


Happy fall, and Bon Appétit,
Margaret


Sweet Potato Leek Soup
Serves 4

4 small leeks
1 small onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2-3 tbs butter
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
4 cups chicken broth

Cook onion, carrot, and leeks in butter in a large saucepan over medium heat for 8 minutes.  Add broth and sweet potatoes.  Bring to a boil and cover, simmering for 20 minutes.  Add parsley and simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.  Blend using an immersion or tabletop blender.  If the soup is too thick, add more broth 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.  Serve immediately or store in fridge or freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment